Friday, April 6, 2012

I'm sorry it's still not on DVD, and other briefs

I should have checked last night whether The Whole Town's Talking had gotten a DVD release since I blogged about it back in January 2009. The movie hasn't, and since it's airing again in just a few hours' time, at 2:00 PM today, the chances are good that you're only going to see this post after the movie has aired. Another film today which doesn't seem to be on DVD is The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse, at 5:15 PM, in which Edward G. Robinson plays the doctor who, in order to study the criminal mind, infiltrates a gang of thieves led by Humphrey Bogart.

One of the Edward G. Robinson movies that is on DVD, but I haven't seen yet, is The Man With Two Faces, at 12:45 PM. Not having seen it yet, I can't blog about it. Maybe in the near future, although I've got a few other movies I just saw to blog about first. I'm not certain why they're showing so many of Robinson's films today, since his birthday is in December.

And then there's Guilty Hands, which ran this morning. It sounded like an interesting premise -- former district attorney Lionel Barrymore commits murder and tries to pin it on Kay Francis -- but the execution was off. That having been said, the execution was off in a way that makes parts of the movie really interesting. If it were on DVD, it's definitely a movie I'd be blogging about, just for its oddness. But sadly, you'll have to wait for this to show up again on TCM, and I have no idea when that's going to be.

I could swear I had blogged about Young Man With a Horn, which airs tonight at 10:00 PM. Kirk Douglas stars as a trumpeter who winds up with a woman (Lauren Bacall) who's not right for him and it drives him to drink. It's loosely based on the story of 1920s cornetist Bix Beiderbecke, with the looseness coming from the fact that Beiderbecke died tragically young, while the Douglas character doesn't. I probably should do a full-length post about this one, but I'm just not that big a fan of Lauren Bacall.

No comments: