Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tonight on TCM

I've mentioned What Price Hollywood? several times in the past. It's airing again tonight at 10:00 PM. As I've commented when mentioning it, What Price Hollywood is pretty much the original version of A Star Is Born. The 1937 version of A Star Is Born (the one with Janet Gaynor and Frederic March) kicks off tonight's proceedings at 8:00 PM.

Sundays as usual mean Silent Sunday Nights at roughly midnight. This week we get four two-reelers from Harold Lloyd. I think I've seen Get Out And Get Under (at 1:30 AM) before; I distinctly remember a sight gag with Harold Lloyd disappearing into his car. But for some reason I recall a short with Harold trying to get to a wedding on time to make it there before somebody else; the plot of Get Out and Get Under has Lloyd trying to get to a theater to meet his girlfriend. Maybe I'm mixing this one up with something from Buster Keaton's Three Ages. Just one more sign that I've seen too many movies.

This week's TCM Import, at 2:00 AM, is Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, which I blogged about back in March 2011.

There are also a couple of shorts that sound interesting. I don't think I've ever seen any of Hal Roach's "Taxi Boys" shorts from the early 1930s; TCM is showing What Price Taxi just after What Price Hollywood?; that is, a little after 11:30 PM. TCM's schedule page also lists a short that looks like a travelogue, called Kingdom of the Saguenay, around 5:40 AM tomorrow. I know nothing about this one, and neither the TCM databse nor IMDb has much information.

No comments: