Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas and beyond

First, I'd like to apologize for my comments yesterday suggesting that FXM's airings of A Christmas Carol would be colorized. They ran the movie four times last night (in addition to the six airings later today), and at least the first one was in black and white, although the print was fairly poor. There were still lots of commercials, though; at one point I counted a commercial break and it started and ended with promos for various Fox properties and had seven commercials in between. I seem to recall reading when the old Fox Movie Channel first dumped the old format in favor of newer movies in the 3PM-3AM slot that it would have "limited" commercial interruptions and thought to myself, "Yeah, right." Of course, I thought the 3AM-3PM period would go to the FXM format and include commercials within six months. It's been nearly three years now, and a look ahead seems to imply that it will still last into the new year. How much longer than that I don't know, but there you are.

After all the Christmas movies, TCM will be switching to something different: a night of Mel Brooks comedies. I don't think I've done a full-length post on High Anxiety (8:00 PM) before, and if it weren't Christmas I might thing about doing that today. Just enjoy Brooks' parody of Alfred Hitchcock movies.

Henry Fonday gets the spotlight on Friday morning and afternoon, even though his birthday is in May. Another movie I would have thought about blogging about is That Certain Woman (7:45 AM), except that it turns out I've already blogged about it, back in March 2012.

No comments: