Saturday, August 18, 2018

A brief mention of Clark Gable day

Today in TCM's Summer Under the Stars brings 24 hours of the movies of Clark Gable. I see a movie in the schedule that I don't think has been on in quite some time, The King and Four Queens, at 4:00 PM.

Gable plays Dan Kehoe, a con-man out in the old west who hears about a ranch run by a bunch of women. Ma McDade (Jo Van Fleet, interestingly playing well above her age as she'd do a few short years later in Wild River) runs the place with her four daughters-in-law (Eleanor Parker among them). Apparently the brothers went off and robbed a bank and made off with a huge sum of money. Three of the four brothers were killed, and nobody knows what happened to the fourth.

So Dan shows up saying while he was in prison, he heard from the fourth brother. In fact, it's just a ruse to get on the ranch (for understandable reasons, these women don't like outsiders), so that he can poke around for a while to try to find out where the loot is hidden. But love and other emotions complicate matters....

I think the last time I saw this was in January 2015, which I think was also the last time it showed up on the TCM schedule. I didn't do a post on it then because when I looked to see if it was on DVD, I couldn't find it. It turned out that it already had gotten a release. Anyhow, I enjoyed the movie then, and it's certainly worth a watch.

No comments: