Sunday, November 25, 2018

Briefs for November 25-26, 2018

Tonight for whatever reason there are two Silent Sunday Nights features, wth the TCM Import not coming on until 3:00 AM. The first silent, at midnight tonight, is the 1925 version of The Wizard of Oz, a movie I think I've mentioned in passing a couple of times. Remember that Frank Baum wrote a whole series of books about the kingdom of Oz, so the stories aren't all going to be the Judy Garland Dorothy that everybody knows.

I don't know what the deal with TCM's having movies available at the TCM Shop is. I mentioned recently about The Threat being on backorder there but available at Amazon. Meanwhile, I recorded the one George Formby movie a couple of Friday nights ago that the TCM schedule page had a "Buy the DVD" link to, only to find that there doesn't seem to be any DVD for the movie. That's one more movie I was going to a post on that's going to have to wait. On the other hand, Sony/Columbia's MOD scheme seems to be available at the TCM Shop but not Amazon, as the subject for my next movie review (Affair in Trinidad) shows.

I've been remiss in mentioning a couple of obituaries from last weekend on, but note that director Nicolas Roeg died on Friday aged 90. Roeg started as a cinematographer, turning to directing in 1970 with the interesting if flawed Performance which I blogged about a few months back. The Roeg movie I remember best is Walkabout, with Jenny Agutter and her kid brother getting lost in the Australian outback, getting helped out by an Aboriginal (David Gulpilil).

No comments: