Thursday, November 1, 2018

Yet another look at women directors

TCM is running a spotlight tonight and next Thursday on women directors, with a bunch in between on November 7 as well. The prime time looks are a bunch of silent movies, and with the shorts TCM has them listed as being in blocks of multiple movies beginning at the same time, as is their tendency. This means the night is listed with three Alice Guy movies starting off at 8:00 PM, and I don't know if the order they're listed in is the correct one.

That's followed at 9:15 by a pair of Lois Weber movies, including the interesting Where Are My Children? that I mentioned from one of the previous female director spotlights. It's an intersesting movie about abortion and birth control, with birth control being virtuous because it's being used to get the lower classes to stop spitting out so many babies, while abortion is used (illegally) by the upper classes not to have so many babies, making it bad.

I'd say that Where Are My Children? is the highlight of the night, but I haven't actually seen the stuff later in the evening, so I can't really judge.

No comments: