Monday, May 13, 2019

A new(ish) Orson Welles documentary

TCM's programming for tonight is a night of Orson Welles movies, although the night is kicking off with a documentary called The Eyes of Orson Welles at 8:00 PM.

I haven't seen the documentary, as it was only released last year, and this is the first TCM showing. I notice, however, that it's directed by Mark Cousins, which gives me a bit of pause. Cousins directed the multipart series The Story of Film that ran on TCM several years back. TCM programmed a bunch of great stuff in conjunction with the series, but the series itself wasn't very good, with a lot of images that didn't seem to fit, such as a running joke on the TCM boards about whether the guy caught his bus in reference to reference to a guy, well, trying to get his morning bus. That and the coffee.

The IMDb reviews on this new documentary are sharply divided, and the synopsis also makes me wonder, as it's described as an open letter to Welles using Welles' sketchbooks. I can see why this would cause such a difference of opinion.

As always, watch for yourself. I don't know if it's on DVD.

No comments: