Sunday, June 2, 2013

Essentials Jr. returns

Bill Hader returns for another season of Essentials Jr., TCM's annual summer series of movies that the whole family should be able to enjoy. I can't remember whether it's his second or third season; I don't watch it that much. This season kicks off tonight at 8:00 PM with Danny Kaye as The Court Jester. The plot involves Kaye being installed as court jester in the court of a corrupt usurper king, so that the good guys can get the propre heir put back on the throne. Romantic complications of course ensue.

I have to admit that Danny Kaye isn't one of my particular favorites, for reasons I can't quite articulate. I think it's partly down to not being a fan of musicals, and with Kaye coming across as a bit manic. So I'm not really the right person to judge whether or not The Court Jester is a good choice for the kids of today. To be fair, though, it's got swashbuckling and adventure, so for those kids that liked The Adventures of Robin Hood, they might like this one too. I personally would just show kids The Adventures of Robin Hood, but it's not as though Essentials Jr. can run the same movies year after year.

No comments: