Saturday, January 20, 2018

Dorothy Malone, 1925-2018


Dorothy Malone in Written on the Wind (1956)

Actress Dorothy Malone, who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her portrayal of a sex-starved woman in Written on the Wind, died yesterday, a week and a half before her 93rd birthday.

Malone's career started off in the early 1940s in a bunch of uncredited adolescent roles such as The Falcon and the Co-Eds which I actually still have on my DVR although it's out of print on DVD. Then there came low budget stuff like Security Risk (which, to be honest, I'm only mentioning because I had that photo on my hard drive) and The Fast and the Furious. Looking through her credits, I forgot that she was in The Killer that Stalked New York too.

Winning the Oscar helped her career for a few years in the late 50s as she had better credits like The Last Voyage opposite Robert Stack. But in the 60s she'd be best remembered for the TV version of Peyton Place, taking the role of Constance that Lana Turner had done in the the movie several years early.

I've said recently that I should probably have taken part in the "blind spot" blogathon that somebody's running, because one of my blind spots happens to be Malone's last movie, 1992's Basic Instinct.

I don't know if TCM will be doing any sort of programming tribute for her, at least not any time soon, what with 31 Days of Oscar coming up relatively soon and there wasn't a Malone birthday tribute planned for her birthday on the 30th of this month.

1 comment:

joel65913 said...

I was wondering if they were going to squeeze her in before the Oscar month. What with her passing, her birthday coming up and the fact that she was a Warners girl at the beginning of her career so they have access to at least a full day of programming they should be able to pull something together rapidly. Hope so.