Sunday, December 16, 2018

Coming attractions, December 16-17, 2018

Tonight's Silent Sunday Nights movie is The Passion of Joan of Arc at 12:15 AM, which I think I've mentioned before several times in passing but not done a full-length post on. Maria-Renée Falconetti plays the child saint in a movie based on the trial and her ultimate martyrdom. The stark black and white photography is excellent, as is Falconetti's performance. If you haven't seen this one before, I highly recommend it.

Tomorrow morning and afternoon's lineup on TCM is a bunch of crime movies, a day which shows me once again you can always learn something new. High Sierra is on at 4:15 PM, and I discovered that it's apparently out of print on individual DVD. There is a box set, but according to some of the reviews on Amazon that one has some problems. But the real reason I mentioned learning something new is that the first movie of the day, at 6:00 AM, is Villain, a new one to me. It stars Richard Burton as a British gangster who starts suspecting everyone around him, at least according to the synopsis. As I said, I'd never heard of it before seeing it on the TCM schedule, so I can't say more. I'll have to clear some space on the DVR and record it.

Over on FXM, they'll be showing The Lion, which will be on tomorrow morning at 7:45 AM and twice more at the end of the week. I can't believe it's been five years since I blogged about it. As far as I can tell, it's still not available on DVD, but you can watch it on Amazon's Prime Video.

No comments: