Thursday, January 31, 2019

Briefs for January 31-February 1, 2019

So I won't be participating in this week's Thursday Movie Picks, because I don't watch much episodic TV and this one is about TV shows that premiered in 2018. The only new in 2018 show I could think of was The Ten, one of those idiotic snarky list shows, this one appearing on Tennis Channel. They already had a snarkly list show some years back with Best of Five, which at least makes sense on Tennis Channel since certain of the men's matches are the best three out of five sets. Other things that premiered in 2018? I'm not certain, and I don't know that I watched episodes of any of them.

Last month in the Thursday Movie Picks on the movies of 2018, I mentioned the 1937 version of A Star Is Born. It's going to be on TCM tonight at 9:45 PM. It will be preceded, at 8:00 PM, by the 1932 What Price Hollywood?, which as I think I mentioned in the comments is much the same story as A Star Is Born. Both are well worth watching if you haven't seen them before.

James Ingram died on Tuesday at the age of 66. Although he's best known as a singer, I mention him here because he co-wrote two Oscar-nominated songs, "The Day I Fall in Love" from Beethoven's 2nd in 1993 and "Look What Love Has Done" from Junior in 1984. I don't remember either song since they weren't hits. He did sing "Somewhere Out There" from An American Tail with Linda Ronstadt, although he didn't write it so he didn't get the nomination.

Tomorrow being February 1, it's the start of the annual 31 Days of Oscar on TCM. It looks as though tomorrow's daytime theme is literary adaptations, although I'm not that big a fan of most of the movies on the daytime schedule. The 31 Days of Oscar site lists what every day and night feature is, which is nice.

And apropos of nothing in particular, I had reason to look for a certain image and found this:


Old, bloated Peter Lorre and the back of Joan Fontaine, in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961)

No comments: