Thursday, January 24, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #237: Movies You Walked Out Of



This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week's theme is "Movies You Walked Out Of". For me, the theme is going to be slightly different, in that as I don't actually go to the theater very often to see movies, I don't actually walk out of movies. Instead, I'm picking three movies that I DVRed or watched on TV that I found so bad that I gave up the first time I tried to watch them:

The Madwoman of Chaillot (1969). Katharine Hepburn plays a woman living in Paris who finds that a group of wealthy men are trying to buy up the oil rights under the city. She tries to put a stop to it. Hepburn is playing the same obnoxious character she did in Bringing Up Baby, a selfish blankety-blank who doesn't care about anybody else, and the whole farce is so unfunny I gave up on it.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977). Diane Keaton plays a teacher of deaf children who had a very devout Catholic upbringing and, now that she's an adult, she wants to escape from that, which she does by going from bar to bar and engaging in a series of one-night stands. I didn't care about her character or what happened to her, and found the whole thing incredibly tedious. Well, I only found half of it tedious because I deleted it off the DVR and never watched the second half.

Being There (1979). Peter Sellers plays a mentally challenged gardener whose boss dies and who gets taken in by a big-time politico (Melvyn Douglas). Sellers' character watched a bunch of TV and speaks in idiotic platitudes that the political class thinks are genius. No, they're not; they're just plain dumb. So dumb that I shut this one off halfway through. I did eventually watch the whole thing. It didn't get any better.

10 comments:

Birgit said...

I never cared to see Looking for Mr. Goodbar and I haven’t seen the Mad Woman but I wouldn’t mind trying it as I liked Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby. I like Being There but I haven’t seen it since it came out. I have to try seeing it again and see if I think the same way.

Myerla said...

Looking for Mr Goodbar sounds just wrong...

Often Off Topic said...

Oh crikey, I've never seen any of these and I can't say I'm tempted to give any of them a go!

Ted S. (Just a Cineast) said...

Everybody else loves Being There. I used it in my "Against the Grain" challenge last year because I hated it. So if you want to give any of them a try, that might be the one to start with.

And as with Jill Clayburgh's An Unmarried Woman, I may just be in the wrong demographic for Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

Dell said...

I enjoyed Looking for Mr. Goodbar, but it's been so many years since I've seen it, the details escape me.

MovieBox Profession said...

Download the MovieBox application to watch movies and free TV shows.

Cassandra Palmer said...

You can also watch blockbuster movies and free TV channels with the PlayTV Geh app by clicking ligacao

Yakshita said...

Thanks for Sharing such an amazing article. Keep working... Your Site is very nice, and it's very helping us.. this post is unique and interesting, thank you for sharing this awesome information

Indusind Bank Credit Card Reward Points Redeem 2021

Yakshita said...

I hope to see more post from you. Thank you for sharing this post. Your blog posts are more interesting and impressive

Gratuity | Gratuity Calculator | Gratuity Calculation

christopherhall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.