Tuesday, January 1, 2019

I haven't done a birthday post in a while

So TCM is doing one for me. I looked through the archives, and it looks as though the last time I did a post to mark somebody's birthday for reasons other than there being a programming salute to it was for Alice Brady back at the beginning of November.

Anyhow, today marks the centenary of Carole Landis, the beauty of the 1940s whose career faded even before her early death at the age of 29. Her big break came when she was cast opposite Victor Mature in the prehistoric One Million B.C., which TCM is running tonight at 11:15 PM. So, as you've probably guessed by now, TCM is spending the entire evening with Landis' movies.

I'll assume they couldn't get I Wake Up Screaming from Fox, since that one isn't on. Either that, or they actually chose to get It Happened in Flatbush (8:00 PM) instead to kick off the night. Another Fox movie I wouldn't have minded seeing them get is Four Jills in a Jeep.

They also gott A Scandal in Paris (overnight at 3:45 AM), a biopic more or less of Eugène Vidocq (George Sanders), who founded modern detective practices in early 19th century France. It's actually a pretty good movie thanks in no small part to the presence of Sanders.

The rest of tonight's lineup includes Turnabout at 9:30 PM; Topper Returns at 12:45 AM; and Having Wonderful Crime at 2:30 AM.

No comments: