Thursday, January 17, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #236: 2018 movies



This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week's theme is the movies of 2018, which should be difficult for me since I didn't actually go to the movie theater once in 2018, in part because I'm a cheapskate who's interested in old movies, and in part because the local sixtyplex shut down over the summer. So I took a slightly different tack:

A Star Is Born (1937). Esther Blodgett (Janet Gaynor) goes to Hollywood, meets actor Norman Maine (Fredric March) and marries him, and becomes a success. At the same time, Norman becomes an alcoholic whose career goes down the tubes. Remade multiple times, most recently in 2018 with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper

Mary Poppins (1964). Julie Andrews becomes umbrella-wielding governess to an Edwardian couple's (David Tomlinson and Glynis Johns) children who captivates the kids through crappy songs; Dick Van Dyke plays her best friend as well as Tomlinson's boss in a dual role. Remade/rebooted in 2018 as Mary Poppins Returns.

Overboard (1987). Handyman Kurt Russell goes to work for nasty Goldie Hawn on her yacht. She suffers an accident and becomes an amnesiac, changing her personality as the two fall in love. Remade in 2018 with the genders switched (ie. a woman employee and a spoiled brat rich guy who gets amnesia). I didn't even know there was a remake until one of the cast members (Fernando Luján, who plays the patriarch from what I understand), died last week.

7 comments:

Dell said...

Believe it, or not, I haven't see any version of A Star is Born, including the latest one, yet. I would like to binge them all, but not sure I'll be able to do that. I'll for sure see the new one.

I have seen Mary Poppins, but I do want to revisit it before seeing Returns.

Overboard, just never seemed like it was anything more than a vanity project for Russell and Hawn, so I never bothered.

Brittani Burnham said...

Ha, here I thought I was actually going to know all of your picks this week! I've seen Mary Poppins. The only version of A Star Is Born I've seen in full is this years, and I don't care to see it again. I've seen plenty of clips of Judy Garland singing from her ASIB though.

Birgit said...

I actually rented 3 movies that came out last year and promptly forgot and posted for next week’s theme....hahahaa I think I am getting old timer’s disease. I love what you did here and I have seen all 3! I love this version of A Star is Born but my favourite is the Judy Garland one. Mary Poppins is a fun movie even though I though Mary was a bit of a ..we’ll never mind maybe I am thinking of the author:). I enjoyed Overboard with Hawn and Russell and have no care to see the remake since this movie was fun but not a major film classic in my humble opinion.

Myerla said...

I like this idea haha even if you had to do something else. I've seen Mary Poppins (cos who hasn't?) only. The other two I havent. Ironically I've yet to see all three remakes.

Ted S. (Just a Cineast) said...

I'm actually not a fan of either Judy Garland's or Barbra Streisand's singing, although both could certainly act. Garland is excellent in The Clock, a non-singing role. I actually enjoyed For Pete's Sake, although that's because I saw it as a throwback to the 1930s B movie.

Any many would argue that the actual original is the 1932 movie What Price Hollywood?, with Constance Bennett and Lowell Sherman.

Sonia Cerca said...

I've only seen the Judy Garland version of A Star Is Born and I thought it was okay. I hope to see the new one soon. I was not a fan of the original Mary Poppins so I'll stay away from the sequel.

Often Off Topic said...

Oh I like your twist on the theme this week! I really loved A Star is Born so it's made me very tempted to watch one of the older versions.