Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Programming notes for June 23-24, 2020


Tonight on TCM continues the look at TCM Star of the Month Ann Sheridan, this time showcasing her in comedy. The night kicks off at 8:00 PM with I Was a Male War Bride, a movie that I actually haven't blogged about before. If I had enough space on my DVR, I'd record it and do a post here; otherwise, I'll have to see if it shows up on Watch TCM. Cary Grant plays a French Army officer just after World War II who falls in love with American WAC Sheridan; the only way he can get to the US legally is as a war bride; comedy and light drama ensue.

It's been seven years since I blogged about It All Came True, which is on overnight at 3:30 AM. Sheridan plays a nightclub singer whose mom owns a boarding house; when a gangster (Humphrey Bogart) holes up in the boarding house, he convinces the quirky tenants to turn the place into another nightclub. Then at 5:15 AM there's Honeymoon for Three, which I think I still haven't seen, except that it's a remake of Goodbye Again which I did blog about back in 2015.

Over on FXM, one that's back out of the Fox vaults is Decision Before Dawn, airing at 7:55 AM. It's preceded at 6:00 AM by Call Northside 777, which I think has been back in the rotation for a little longer. Coming up on Thursday is a new-to-me western, Kid Blue. Hope to get more off the DVR to have room for that one.

Up against those FXM movies, over on StarzEncore Westerns if you have that channel, is Gunfight at the OK Corral, the Burt Lancaster/Kirk Douglas telling of the Wyatt Earp vs. the Clanton Gang story. That one comes on tomorrow morning at 8:14 AM, although it will be on again tomorrow evening.

No comments: