Monday, June 15, 2020

The Woman Always Pays, aka The Abyss


I've mentioned before that I listen to any number of international broadcasters, which includes downloading programs from various stations in German to keep up my practice with the language. Recently, I got around to listening to a radio documentary on Asta Nielsen. She was a Danish-born actress who worked most of her active movie career in silents in Germany, making something like 70 of the 74 silents she did in Germany. The Nazis wanted her to make movies, apparently offering her own studio, and she said hell no and got the hell out of Germany, going back to her native Denmark and living out her days until she died at the age of 90.

I have to be honest that I hadn't heard of her, or even the fact that her first movie, made in her native Denmark, created quite some controversy thanks to a racy (well, by 1910 standards) dance scene. That movie is called The Woman Always Pays or The Abyss. Being from 1910, it's in the public doman and available on Youtube. I found two versions plus clips of the dance scene, although the two full-length version differ by about 90 seconds in run-time, which might have something to do with frame rate or one or another of the uploaders including some extra credits; I didn't watch both versions in full. I did scroll through a bit of the thumbnails at the bottom, and it looks as though both versions only have intertitles in Danish, which I can only make out a few words in here and there based on its being a Germanic language and my knowledge of German. Still, if you haven't seen the movie, here it is:

No comments: