Friday, November 18, 2022

Briefs for November 18-20, 2022

This time, with videos!

One of the movies that FXM pulled out of the vault this autumn that I didn't mention in any of the other recent posts is A Royal Scandal, a comedy about Catherine the Great (Tallulah Bankhead) and a young officer. I thought I had blogged about it before, but a search of the blog claims I haven't. At any rate, it's airing tomorrow at 11:30 AM, with repeats on Nov. 20 and Nov. 25, so it looks like I'll be recording it to do a post on next week.

I don't think I mentioned that new programming theme on TCM of putting a musical right after the Saturday matinee slot. I seem to recall many years back that they had a programming block called "Syncopation Station", which was on Sunday mornings up until late 2006, from what I could glean from an internet search. Wouldn't you know it, but the intro is currently up on Youtube:

One of the international broadcaster radio news podcasts I listen to mentioned yesterday that it was the 80th birthday of director Martin Scorsese. Note that the spelling has three S's; it's not uncommon for people to misspell it Scorcese. For some reason, that makes me think of this unrelated scene:

In another incident that doesn't really have much to do with the movies, One of the radio stations here that as far as I know doesn't go all-Christmas in the run-up to December 25 played a Christmas song today, that Mariah Carey song that gets way too much airplay. Again not for any good reason, but I suddenly thought of a song that's incongruously about Christmas, and incongruously in a movie that got a Christmas release although, in the context of the movie, the song is being played for the summer school holidays:

Although, for some reason, I thought that song was by the Marvelettes.

No comments: