Thursday, November 24, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #437: Non-English (TV edition)

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This is the last Thursday of the month, which means that it's time for another TV-themed edition. This month, that theme is non-English-language TV shows, which I have to admit is a bit difficult for me in that I don't watch much episodic TV. Well, I suppose it's not difficult per se so much as it is difficult for me not to repeat stuff. I think I avoided repeats, however:

Der große Preis (1974-1993). Part quiz show, part variety show, all German. I got to see one episode of this when I visited my German relatives back in 1989, and let's say that as a game show fan, I much preferred the faster-paced Die Pyramide.

Expedition: Robinson (1997-2005; revived several times since then). The Swedish original of what would be licensed in the US as Survivor, a show that I don't much care for.

Le maître du Jeu (2022). The Quebec version of Taskmaster, a British comedy game show I haven't seen and which apparently aired for one season here in the US on Comedy Central.

3 comments:

Birgit said...

When I visited my relatives I did get into the German TV. I remember seeing Jerry Lewis on s program once. He got s standing ovation and he went into his imbecile shtick. I had nothing this week.

Wanderer said...

I didn't know that Survivor was adapted from another country's reality TV show.

ThePunkTheory said...

I wasn't aware that there are other Taskmaster versions! I really love the British one