Friday, March 31, 2023

Briefs for March 31-April 1, 2023

I actually have a couple of movies watched, but haven't had the time to do a real post today; that's something which should change for the weekend and, with any luck, I should have a bit more time when I finally convert to working from home. Having said that, it's amazing the amount of Underground-like stuff is available with commercials on the various streaming platforms. I bought a Roku device to use as the interface for YoutubeTV, and in addition to the Roku Channel, stuff like TubiTV and PlutoTV have so much stuff out there where rights owners are clearly looking for a way to squeeze a few extra pennies out of the rights. It's how I watched The Warriors, and have a blaxploitation movie coming up to blog about. The dog, at least, is beginning to settle in:

FXM Retro continues to trundle along. I see that Somewhere in the Night is on the schedule for tomorrow (April 1) at 6:00 AM. I'm not certain if this one is entirely new to the FXM rotation, or if it showed up earlier this year. But I didn't mention it as being back in the rotation, and think I would have if I had seen it show up before.

TCM's schedule for April is going to be something completely different. Instead of a normal Star of the Month or the other spotlights, they're honoring one studio -- Warner Bros. -- as it's the studio's 100th anniversary, depending upon how you count. I'm presuming is what Warner Bros., or whoever owns the place now, considers the official centenary. Of course, as a fan of old movies I'm reminded of the 1930 short that they made claiming it was Warner Bros.' silver jubilee. Every movie on TCM in April is going to be one produced at Warner Bros. or one of its subsidiaries, or else a documentary about the studio. One thing worth mentioning early in the month is Lights of New York (Apr. 2, 5:00 AM), which is generally considered the first feaure-length all-talking picture. You may recall that The Jazz Singer was only a part talkie. Lights of New York is more or less a standard-issue picture in the genre of small town people go to big city and get mixed up with crime, but then I don't think the tropes had been set yet back in 1928.

I only noticed after getting off work today that today is Christopher Walken's 80th birthday. Walken won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for The Deer Hunter, and has been in a whole bunch of interesting movies over the past 50 years, with one of my favorites being At Close Range. I also learned that he's been married to the same woman since 1969.

No comments: