Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Briefs for March 8-9, 2023

Preparations for the big move continue apace. It looks like the movers are coming sometime next week for all the furniture. With any luck, this weekend I'll be getting TV and internet squared away. I'm probably going to go with Youtube TV, which has most of the channels I want, including TCM and FXM; the various premium channels seem to be there although I don't know if I'll be buying those. But having real high-speed internet without data caps is going to be nice, and probably increase the range of movies I can blog about. As of now, I've got a Thursday Movie Picks post for tomorrow, and then enough movies to get me through the weekend, although I'll probably watch a few more off the DirecTV DVR over the weekend before I cancel the service.

I probably should have mentioned the passing of Tom Sizemore last week, a couple of weeks after he suffered a ruptured aneurysm. He appeared in a lot of movies, although his troubled personal life meant he didn't get to be as big a star as one might have hoped. Before things went downhill, however, there were ome fairly big films like Devil in a Blue Dress and Saving Private Ryan.

Apparently the Oscars are this weekend; shows you how much I've been paying attention to it. I did listen to a story on one of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's podcasts about the nomination for Amanda Riseborough in a fairly obscure movie, thanks in part to a coordinated word-of-mouth campaign from some movie stars. Whatever rules the Academy puts up, studios are always going to try to go right to the edge of them to campaign for nominations or actual statuettes; from what little I've read I don't think that any of the ruels were actually broken in this case but again I don't follow the Academy much.

It wasn't all that long ago that I did a post on This Sporting Life. It's going to be coming up on TCM at 12:30 AM Friday (which is still Thursday evening in more westerly time zones) as part of an evening of sports films, so now's your chance to watch it.

Michael Shayne: Private Detective is back in the FXM rotation, with an airing at 4:40 AM Friday. In fact, it's not the only Michael Shayne movie in the rotation, as Dressed to Kill gets its next airing this coming Monday. And if you like Lloyd Nolan (who doesn't?), he'll also be on FXM in The House on 92nd Street a couple of times in the next few days. Over on TCM, he's got a smaller role in Ice Station Zebra, at 3:00 PM tomorrow.

No comments: