Monday, August 12, 2024

Briefs for August 12-13, 2024

Tomorrow's (August 13) star in TCM's Summer Under the Stars is this year's big international star, French actor Jean-Paul Belmondo. I don't think I've got anything of his sitting on my DVR right now that I haven't blogged about before, and certainly not any of the movies that are airing as part of his day. However, I did want to mention a couple of the movies, for various reasons.

When Belmondo died back in 2021, I mentioned the movie Mississippi Mermaid as a movie I had seen some years back as part of a month-long TCM programming salute to director François Truffaut. It's airing at 6:15 AM (the odd starting time for Summer Under the Stars is becaus there's a short that kicks off Belmondo's day at 6:00 AM), which means I'll be putting it on the DVR and hopefully getting to it before my glut of foreign films causes some of the ones I haven't watched yet to drop off. I've got quite a few Japanese films to get through, for example.

Mississippi Mermaid is followed by one of Belmondo's international productions that I mentioned several months back when it was about to leave Tubi: The Burglars, at 8:15 AM. So this is your chance to catch it commercial-free.

One of my favorite Belmondo films is That Man from Rio, which shows up at 6:00 PM. It's followed by one of my least favorite out of the Belmondo movies I've see, Breathless, at 8:00 PM. To me, Breathless is one of those overly talky movies with the last act being way too much philosophizing. Breathless got a Hollywood remake in the early 1980s, and TCM showed that some months back, so I've got the Hollywood remake on my DVR but have not gotten around to watching it yet.

As far as non-Belmondo news, I'm still not used to stuff randomly leaving the various FAST platforms. The other day, I was going to log in to PlutoTV to watch something off the "Watch List" that I had set up, and was surprised to see a fairly large number of movies from the list missing. I assume that Pluto's contract to be able to show those movies ended, so all those movies just silently leave one's watch list. As always, it's a reason for getting physical copies of media and why content holders seem to want to get out of physical media.

FXM's retro block is still chugging along, although again there's nothing in the lineup that I haven't mentioned recently as being back, at least not since the last big refresh last October. I'm hoping there's another big refresh this October.

No comments: