Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Symphony of Seven Thousand

If I've done the math right (or, more precisely, if Blogger's statistics are correct), this shoud be the 7,000th post here on my blog. As always when I reach an "odometer number", I think it's a good time to stop and do a little reflection.

It took me a little over 16½ years to get to 7,000, although that was in part because of the couple of months I took off a few years back when Dad broke his hip and we had to get the house ready to sell and move to the new location. Of course, that also meant moving somewhere with reliable high-speed internet, which means I can do the streaming thing. At least, I can do the free streaming since I'm not enough into the premium services to subscribe. At any rate, I've been having about five days a month where I write a second post, and at that rate it would take me a bit under 16½ years to get the next 7,000, which would also put me just shy of my 69th birthday.

I was posting some comments about old movies on a group blog that's not specifically a movie blog, and one of the other regular commenters asked me why I don't try to monetize my posting with a Substack, that being the big new thing for content creators who want to try their hand at making money from their comment. I think the problem for me is that even if I really did want to monetize it and had a large enough following to make that worthwhile, I don't know that this is the sort of content that's worth trying to monetize.

At least, not monetize it in the substack way. There are lots of people who write movie reviews, and the way I do my posts is decidedly unprofessional. If I wanted to try my hand at being a more professional columnist, I'd have to spend a lot more time crafting my writing professionally, and I don't really have the time to take on a second full-time job. Instead, I'd probably have to take my old reviews and figure out a way to edit them thematically, doing the self-publishing thing of writing books on certain types of movie in a way to make the reviews more interesting. Unfortunately, some of the reviews are of movies I haven't seen in ages and my not be available to stream to refresh myself on them. I'd also need a good editor.

So, for the time being, it's keep on watching old movies and doing the post on them someplace like here. I do hope to do that for years to come, and hopefully the various movie channels and FAST services will be there for us all to watch.

No comments: