Sunday, August 18, 2024

Multiple obituaries for the week ending August 18, 2024

Actress Gena Rowlands, who was the wife of actor/director John Cassavetes and featured in several of his films, died on Wednesday at the age of 94. A search of my blog suggests I haven't mentioned her all that much. I noticed that the Wikipedia listing mentioned the movie Gloria. I came across that one on one of the FAST streaming services, but only got to watch about 10 minutes of it because the scheduling didn't fit my day when it was streaming "live". However, Tubi seems to have it right now, so I'll probably try to get around to watching it in the near future.

Wednesday saw the death of Peter Marshall, whom most people will likely remember as the master of the Hollywood Squares in the 1960s and 1970s. However, he did a fair bit of acting in the 1950s with his comic partner Tommy Noonan and continued making sporadic appearances in the 1960s and later, such as in Edgar Ulmer's final film The Cavern. Many of those earlier movies were made at Fox and would show up from time to time on FXM, but right now I don't think any of them are in the FXM rotation.

Finally, news broke this morning of the death of Alain Delon, the French actor who appeared in a string of movies in the 1960s and beyond, starting with Purple Noon. Delon was 88. Right now, I've got Delon's Le Samouraï on my DVR, but I may not get around to the review for a bit partly because of the number of foreign films I've got to get through and partly because it looks like it's going to be on the TCM schedule in October thanks to TCM's re-running Two for One and somebody having selected it then.

No comments: