Saturday, December 30, 2017

I'm surprised it's not in print

Last weekend, I finally got around to watching Hour of Glory off my DVR from the recording I made during a TCM salute to the Archers, the company that made a bunch of the Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger movies. This one is certainly a lesser movie in the canon, and a search never revealed DVDs for Hour of Glory. That's probably because the original British title was The Small Back Room. Under that title it did get a Criterion release, but as you can tell that's now out of print.

Some weeks earlier I watched Outrage, the Ida Lupino-directed movie about a young woman (Mala Powers) who runs away from home after being raped. This one was distributed by RKO, which makes me surprised that it's not available from the Warner Archive. But then that might have to do that the movie was produced by Lupino's own production company which might have something to do with why it hasn't gotten a Warner Archive release. It's a bit of a shame because I could say even more about this one than Hour of Glory.

No comments: