Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The Ladd Company

I mentioned the other day that IMDb seems to have but its production company information behind the paywall. I found it out when I was looking for info on the Ladd Company, the company founded by Alan Ladd, Jr. in the late 1970s, and was doing so because Ladd Jr. is the subject of tonight's TCM lineup.

Ladd (son of the actor, who had already died in the mid-1960s) started off at Fox in the early 70s, bringing such little known stuff as Star Wars to the screen. At the end of the decade, he struck out on his own, and the company would go on to produce the Best Picture Oscar winner Chariots of Fire (overnight at 12:30 AM), as well as The Right Stuff (9:00 PM) among others.

You may notice the odd starting time for The Right Stuff. That's because there's a documentary on at 8:00 PM. It's not a TCM original as far as I know since it's got a 2016 date. The TCM originals tend to show up in that 8:00 PM slot, followed by one feature and then a repeat for the folks on the west coast. In this case, there is a second airing, but it's after Chariots of Fire at 2:45 AM. (The Right Stuff is 193 minutes per the TCM schedule. I know it's long but I haven't seen it since the 80s.)

The night concludes with another new-to-me movie, The Walking Stick, at 4:00 AM.

No comments: