Sunday, June 10, 2018

Briefs for June 10-11, 2018

Eunice Gayson, one of the original Bond girls from Dr. No and From Russia With Love, died on Friday at the age of 90. I have to admit that I don't remember her, but then it looks like she didn't get much screen time in her role. Ursula Andress (still alive at 82), is probably better remembered from Dr. No, which should be unsurprising considering that she had the bigger role by far.

Speaking of Andress, she's going to be in one of this week's TCM Imports, Up to His Ears, overnight tonight at 2:00 AM. It's a movie that's new to me so I can't comment on it otherwise.

Prime time is a look at 50s suburbia, with movies actually made in the 1950s so it's not Hollywood's view looking back. The night kicks off at 8:00 PM with No Down Payment, a movie I blogged about back in July 2013, although I thought it was longer ago than that. Tonight's airing, however, is one that I think is a TCM premiere. Since I don't think as many people have FXM, now is a good chance to catch No Down Payment.

Finally, Criterion changed the design of their website. It looks like the sort of thing they designed to be optimized for touch-screen devices. I personally find the new search, which is an overlay covering the screen instead of a box (like the one at the top left if you're on the non-mobile version of this blog), to be annoying. Worse is that it doesn't seem to be working on my mobile devices. I type in one letter and that's it. It won't let me type a second letter. How are you supposed to search for anything like that?

No comments: