Monday, January 7, 2019

Stan and Ollie

I haven't seen the recent release Stan & Ollie, about the relationship between Laurel and Hardy at the end of their careers when they were doing a stage tour of the UK. I've mentioned that the local theater in my town is still closed, and besides, I doubt the movie would have made it here yet in the limited release to get in before the awards-show deadlines.

I bring it up because it's the genesis for tonight's TCM lineup. Just as TCM used the late 2017 film Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool to run a night of Grahame movies, they're using Stan & Ollie as an excuse to run a night of Laurel and Hardy's movies. I'm not certain if there is going to be anybody related to the movie sitting down with whichever TCM presenter gets tonight's hosting duties, or whether it's just going to be the TCM presenter -- I think Monday is Dave or Alicia.

Anyhow, the night kicks off at 8:00 PM with The Music Box, a half-hour short about the duo's attemt to deliver a piano up a flight of stairs. There are several shorts and features. Some people might consider Sons of the Desert (10:30) PM the best; others might pick something like Way Out West (9:15).

No comments: