Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cher and Cher alike

Tonight sees the return of the Guest Programmer to the TCM lineup, and this month's Guest Programmer is the Oscar-winning actress Cher. I haven't seen any promos for it on TCM, but with the two recent power outages and the US Open tennis going on, I haven't been watching TCM quite so much in the past week and a half. I don't know if it's been mentioned whether this was recorded before Robert Osborne went on his "vacation", or whether somebody else sat down with Cher. At any rate, she has an interesting selection of movies:

The Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers musical Follow the Fleet at 8:00 PM;
Charles Laughton doing subtle comedy in Hobson's Choice at 10:00 PM;
Lucille Ball in The Big Street, a movie I recommended a month ago, at midnight; and
Barbara Stanwyck in Lady of Burlesque a movie based on a novel written by Gypsy Rose Lee, at 1:45 AM.

As always, I'm interested in seeing the Guest Programmer's reasons for picking some of these movies. The first two seem particularly different enough to be interesting paired together. That having been said, for some reason I thought I had blogged about Follow the Fleet before; in fact, I was confusing it with the Eleanor Powell musical Born to Dance, which also has navy-themed musical numbers. I actually don't think I've seen Follow the Fleet before.

No comments: