Tuesday, October 22, 2013

New to Blu-Ray

Something that's both good and bad about the Story of Film series running on Monday and Tuesday nights on TCM is that they're showing a lot of foreign films in conjunction with the series that I've never seen before. It's good in that I get a chance to see movies that, in some cases, I had never even heard of, such as last night's airing of Boy, which doesn't seem to be on DVD at all. Boy was directed by Nagisa Oshima, whom I've recommended before in the form of Cruel Story of Youth. The bad thing is that, not having seen movies like Boy before, I can't really do a blog post about them. Also, as I've said before, I don't like doing a post after the fact on a movie that's not avaiable on DVD. If it's coming up on TV, then sure, I can give people a heads-up. But if they're not going to have a chance to watch it soon, I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about some wonderful movie that peoplw won't be able to see.

Anyhow, one of the upshots is that there isn't a whole lot on the upcoming TCM schedule over the next 24-36 hours that I can blog about. In that case, one of the first things I do is to look at the TCM schedule for the shorts in between the movies. And I saw HMS Bounty Sails Again! on tonight's schedule, just after Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (8:00 PM, 90 min), or 9:34 PM according to TCM's schedule page. Since I had just blogged about the short about the Bounty at the New York City World's Fair, I figured this would be a good time to mention the one that's coming up tonight. Except that I already did a brief post on it last November.

And then I saw the not-quite-advertisements along the side of the page mentioning stuff that's newly released on DVD or Blu-Ray. Technically they're not advertisements since they link to articles that both give good background on the films in question, and review the DVD or Blu-Ray in question. But you can't help but wonder if part of the reason for these articles being there is to drive people to the TCM shop and help the channel get a few extra bucks. It's not that much different from the "Hi, this is the TCM Classic Movie News Report" that shows up sometimes between movies. Anyhow, there are two movies new to Blu-Ray worth mentioning: Eyes Without a Face is getting a Blu-Ray release courtesy of the Criterion Collection.

The other one is a Fox release of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, which I blogged about back at the beginning of March.

No comments: