Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The joys of satellites

I think I've mentioned several times in the past that I've got Internet by satellite since I live in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately, this sometimes causes problems. I have to go up on the roof a couple of times each winter to clear snow off, and then there are the times that the connection goes out when it doesn't go out for most other people. This lovely summer day is one such time.

Since I try to post every day, I'm now writing to you on that smartphone that brought me into the 21st century. As for satellites and the movies, well there obviously aren't that many films dealing with the topic from most of the studio era, since there were no artificial satellites then. A couple of the James Bond movies deal with space missions, and I think the bad guy in Diamonds Are Forever is trying to make a space-based weapon.

2001: A Space Odyssey has that rotating space station, and the malignant computer, but not satellites aren't that prominent a plot point if memory serves.

I'm hoping normal service will resume tomorrow.

No comments: