Monday, October 29, 2012

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World heads-up



As part of this last Monday in October, TCM is showing movies from the end of Star of the Month Spencer Tracy's career in prime time, including It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World overnight at 3:30 AM (technically early Tuesday, but listed at the end of Monday's schedule by TCM). I presume you know the plot about a cast of crazies all trying to find $350,000 buried under a "Big W" in a state park near California's border with Mexico.

Beware that TCM is listing a running time of 159 minutes, and putting this in a three-hour slot. In the past when TCM has run the movie, they've shown a print that had a running time of something just over three hours. That print was a roadshow version, with an overture, an intermission, and exit music, which I would guess aren't in the 159-minute print. (The one good thing about an intermission in a roadshow print is that it's a good time to go to the fridge and, if need be, use the facilities.) My understanding is that one of the longer prints also had an extended scene, I believe with Phil Silvers' car going down the river. I haven't watched the 159-minute print, however, so I'm not quite certain what's going to be showing up in it.

The movie has gotten various DVD releases, but here again I'm not certain which DVD has what on it.

No comments: