Monday, October 8, 2012

Spencer Tracy, night two

I finally saw one of the TCM promos for Star of the Month Spencer Tracy, discussing his work on the film Inherit the Wind. As usual, it's a well-done piece, although Inherit the Wind isn't airing until October 29, which is part of a night of work from the end of Tracy's career. This second night of Tracy's turn as Star of the Month feature some of the work he did in the early part of his MGM career, starting with Fury at 8:00 PM. It's a movie I blogged about back in August 2008, and the picture at left is from Fury. If you haven't seen it before, it's one I strongly recommend.

Fury will be followed at 9:45 PM by Libeled Lady, which is an entirely different sort of movie from Fury, but which is equally recommended, especially if you like comedy. I can't believe it was all the way back in March of 2008 that I blogged about it. It was remade in the late 1940s as Easy to Wed with Van Johnson and Lucille Ball, but I note that I already mentioned this in the March 2008 blog post. I don't think I've blogged about Eady to Wed before; in fact, I'm not certain if I've even seen it in its entirety.

Not having seen the movie in its entirety is also something I can say about Edison, the Man, which is airing overnight at 1:45 AM. I caught the ending of it when it was last on a few months back, and it came across as typical of the biopics of the era, especially when you consider this one was made at MGM: hagiographic, and perfectly willing to dispense with reality for the sake of a good story. (What Edison did to poor Nikola Tesla is apparently overlooked. That would make in interesting story in and of itself.)

No comments: