Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Another June 1 returnee

Yesterday was the first of the month, and I have to admit that it didn't even occur to me to think of what it might mean on TCM. I sat down to watch The Long Hot Summer kick off the evening's lineup of films involving Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, and there was the intro for the Feature Presentation with Robert Osborne. Yes, Robert Osborne is back after a two-month hiatus.

I didn't notice too much difference in his appearance, but then it's amazing what TV and movie make-up artists can do to make people look younger. (That, and photographers doing airbrushing or the modern equivalent, Photoshopping. I recall Loretta Young making a comment about that when she appeared on a magazine cover, I think it might have been Vanity Fair but am not certain, in her mid-80s.) Still, Robert Osborne is 83 now, and he's not going to be around hosting movies on TCM forever.

As for The Long Hot Summer, I was terribly disappointed by the ending, but I should admit that I'm not the biggest fan of William Faulkner. It doesn't help that my first experience with him was having to read As I Lay Dying in high school English, which as I understand is not the best place to start with Faulkner.

No comments: