Tuesday, February 7, 2017

31 Days of Oscar: E

TCM's 31 Days of Oscar programming this year is running the Oscar-nominated features in slphabetical order by title. Interestingly, they're not showing any movies whose titles begin with the letter E: tonight at 8:00 they're running Dreamgirls; that will be followed at 10:30 by Fame.

It's not that there aren't any. I haven't done an exhaustive search of the Oscar database, but I could think of a moderate handful right off the bat. Probably the most nominated would be E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, which received nine nominations and won five. I can think of some other personal favorites, however.

Laurence Olivier was nominated for the Best Actor Oscar in The Entertainer, for his brilliant if sad portrayal of a man on the lower rungs of the entertainment ladder who can no longer make it, but doesn't want to give up trying.

And then there's The Egg and I, for which Marjorie Main received a Best Supporting Actress nomination for playing Ma Kettle; her performance was so popular that it led to an entire series of Ma and Pa Kettle movies.

I know Exodus was nominated for its distinctive Ernest Gold score; I didn't realize until looking it up for this post that Sal Mineo was also nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

And then one movie that I hadn't heard of is Every Day's a Holiday. This is a Mae West comedy that was nominated for its art direction. I've actually got this one on DVD; it's on the same box set as Night After Night, which I blogged about back in December. I guess I should get around to watching it.

There are some I haven't named. What Oscar-nominated movie beginning with E is your favorite?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The English Patient