Friday, April 7, 2017

Post-war melodrama

Since we're in the first full week of a new month, it's time for a new TCM Spotlight, which this month sees a bunch of post-war melodramas. When I think of the genre, I tend to think of either Douglas Sirk (who gets a night next Friday) or a lot of the over-the-top stuff Joan Crawford did. Harriet Craig and Mildred Pierce are paired together, although I don't quite think of the latter as post-war since as far as I know a lot of the work on it was still going on while the war was stil on. After all, it premiered only a couple of weeks after the war ended. But there are also a couple of other Crawford movies in the spotlight, such as Autumn Leaves and Queen Bee, both of which definitely fit.

Tonight's theme is melodramas set in World War II, although it includes The Best Years of Our Lives (10:15 PM) which I wouldn't really consider a melodrama. Neither is From Here to Eternity (1:30 AM). And I don't think I've ever seen The End of the Afair (1:30 AM).

The TCM page doesn't mention if there's going to be a guest host and, if so, who it is. Or whether it's going to be Ben Mankiewicz interviewing somebody.

No comments: