Monday, April 1, 2019

Agnès Varda and other obituaries

I probably should have mentioned the death of Agnès Varda earlier, but I've been busy. She died on Friday at the age of 90, and was one of the pioneers in the French New Wave. I guess it also has to do with my being a bit cold to the New Wave. I think I mentioned when I did my post on La point courte that I really loved the scenes of everyday life of the southern French fishing village, and didn't so much care for the relationship scenes of the couple returning from Paris. TCM did a TCM Remembers bit on her, too.

Shane Rimmer had small roles in a whole bunch of movies, and did TV work like the voice of Scott Tracy on Thunderbirds which extended into the two Thunderbirds movies of the late 1960s. He died on Friday aged 89. I'm sure he's one of those actors I've seen on the screen before -- indeed, a look at his filmography shows a bunch of movies I've blogged about -- but not a face I'd recognize.

Tania Mallet only had one film role: modeling made her much more money. But it was a memorable one, as Tilly Masterson in the James Bond movie Goldfinger. Tilly's the one who follows Bond and Goldfinger around Switzerland after her sister is killed from having all her pores painted. Mallet, who died Saturday at 77, was also the cousin of Helen Mirren, something I would never have guessed.

No comments: