Thursday, April 25, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #250: Music/Musicals (TV edition)



This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This being the last Thursday of the month, it's time for another TV edition, with the theme being music or musicals. I've stated on a bunch of occasions that I watch very little episodic TV any more, so this wasn't the easiest one for me, until I hit on the idea of vintage game shows:



Face the Music (1980-1981). Musical cues were clues to famous faces; lather, rinse, repeat.



Name That Tune (multiple incarnations, with the most recent in the US being 1984-1985). Another song identification show with various themes. Probably the best-known is "Bid-a-Note", in which contestants were given a clue about a song, and contestants said, "I can name that tune in [diminishing number of] notes", until either one contestant challenged the other to name that tune, or could name it in no notes at all.



Puttin' on the Hits (1984-1988). Contestants lip-synched songs doing sometimes elaborate acts; celebrity musicians judged them. I don't get it either, or how it ran four seasons. I couldn't find a full episode on Youtube the way I could for the other two, so I used a commercial instead. A Youtube search reveals a plethora of clips.

2 comments:

Birgit said...

I remember the first one but never watched it. I watched Name That Tune and I watched it here again...I would watch that again, even the original. I had to laugh at her brand new VCR:) The last one I don't recall at all but there is that stupid new one where 2 stars compete in lip-syncing so this show must have originated form the one you showed here

Brittani Burnham said...

These were all before my time, I've never heard of them until today. These definitely scream "80's" to me though.