Thursday, October 15, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #327: Winter Horror

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. As we're only halfway through October, we've got a couple more weeks of horror-themed picks to go. This week, the theme is snow or winter-related horror. I had one movie in mind immediately, another that it turned out I already used, and a couple I had think about before coming up with. But I did get to three:

The Thing From Another World (1951). Scientists in Alaska discover a spacecraft of some sort buried under the snow and ice, and make the stupid decision to take the pilot back to their research station. The pilot (James Arness although you don't see his face) thaws out and starts killing people at the station.

The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas (1957). An English botanist (Peter Cushing) in the Himalayas meets an American (Forrest Tucker) who thinks he has evidence that the Yeti is actually real, so the two men along with a couple of others set out for an expedition to find out if that's actually the case. The problem is that Cushing wants to do science, while Tucker wants to capture the Yeti King Kong-style in order to make big bucks. The Yeti obviously doesn't want to be captured and starts killing people.

Quintet (1979). Tedious, pretentious movie from Robert Altman set in a post-apocalyptic ice age where the few survivors (including Paul Newman and Bibi Andersson) play a game called Quintet. Only these people play with much higher stakes, with the loser getting killed. I hated this one, but there are people out there who actually like it, so perhaps you might, too.

4 comments:

Dell said...

The Thing From Another World has been on my radar forever but I still haven't seen it. Haven't seen any of these actually, but that's the one I'm most likely to seek out.

thevoid99 said...

Quintet is the film (other than The Things from Another World) that I want to see in this list mainly because of Robert Altman whom I have an immense fondness for though I'm aware it's not one of his best films.

joel65913 said...

Hey we have two matches! I suspect it's because modern horror isn't really either of our main interest so to find fitting movies is a stretch.

The Thing is very 50's drive-in stuff but fun for what it is.

I watched Abominable Snowman for Forrest Tucker but he was small recompense for the silly flick.

Quintet bored me to tears!

Aside from our two matches I came up with a revamped take on the Nina Foch film My Name is Julia Ross.

Dead of Winter (1987)-When struggling actress Katie McGovern (Mary Steenburgen) answers a vague casting call for a leading role she is approached by the mysterious Mr. Murray (Roddy McDowall) and invited to a snowy upstate New York mansion to film a screen test. Upon arrival she meets Dr. Lewis (Jan Rubes) who eagerly hires her to replace an actress she is told suffered a nervous breakdown. However Katie shortly begins to realize dark forces are at work and trapped by both the men and the snow she soon fears for her life.

The Abominable Snowman (1957)-British scientist John Rollason (Peter Cushing) and his wife Helen (Maureen Connell) wile away their days studying plants at a monastery in the Himalayas. When his American associate Tom Friend (Forrest Tucker) arrives he proposes an expedition to find the mysterious creature Yeti aka The Abominable Snowman. Despite warnings the pair set out along with Friend's partner (Robert Brown) and a guide (Michael Brill) who claims he can find the beast. However the trip quickly becomes more dangerous than they had anticipated.

The Thing from Another World (1951)-The Air Force sends in Captain Hendry (Kenneth Tobey) and his team to the remote North Pole research base headed by scientist Dr. Arthur Carrington (Robert Cornthwaite) when he reports a crashed UFO nearby. Upon investigation they discover a strange frozen creature (James Arness). Bringing it back to the base the men quibble over how to proceed, meanwhile the creature is mistakenly defrosted and watch out!!

Birgit said...

I never even heard of Quintet but I would like to even though it doesn’t sound like it is one of her better films( Altman, Newman). I almost went with The Thing and I do t mind this film. I think I saw the second film years and years ago but wouldn’t mind seeing it again. I bet it will mostly new to me.