Thursday, October 29, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #329: Horror (TV edition)

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. With it being October, all of the themes this month have been related to horror. And with this being the last Thursday in the month, it means we get another TV edition of the picks. This time was difficult for me, until I decided to extend what I was going to do as the teaser for three TV shows, which was to use a certain TV commercial. With that in mind, I came up with a commercial that's clearly horror-related, one for a horror-related product, one that kind-of-sort-of technically shows horror, and a fourth that's going to horrify you, and no, I make no apologies for the earworm. :-p

Geico has had a series of whimsical commercials for quite a few years now (look up the one about Honest Abe for a good example). Among them is this spoof of the slasher film genre.

In 1971, General Mills introduced the first two of what are known as the Monster cereals, Count Chocula and Frankenberry. There's also a blueberry-flavored Boo Berry which was introduced later, as well as two discontinued cereals I don't remember, not that I ate any of the monster cereals. Count Chocula, Frankenberry, and Boo Berry are apparently still produced a couple months of the year for the Halloween season.

In this 1985 commercial, the Wendy's fast-food chain humorously uses the horrors of the perceived lack of consumer goods under Soviet Communism to inform the viewers that Wendy's gives you more of a choice of toppings.

A quick search says that our last commercial dates all the way back to 2004. And yet, that horrible jingle is memorable all these years later. So I feel no guilt for inflicting it on the rest of you.

2 comments:

Dell said...

Love the direction you went! And I definitely remember laughing heartily at all of these commercials. You win the week!

Ted S. (Just a Cineast) said...

You *liked* the Pepto-Bismol commercial?!

Maybe I should have gone with my other idea and inflicted a 1-877-Kars-4-Kids commercial on everybody.