Monday, June 18, 2012

Ellen Barkin, and a short

Tnoight Robert Osborne sits down with this month's TCM Guest Programmer, actress Ellen Barkin. (Well, of course, he sat down with her several months ago, but thanks to the magic of videotape....) I think I've only recommended one of the movies she's selected before, and there's at least one that I don't particularly like at all, although I don't want to spoil your enjoyment by saying which one is the one I don't like. Anyhow, Barkin's four selections are:

Stacy Keach and Jeff Bridges as boxers at different ends of their careers in Fat City, at 8:00 PM;
Federico Fellini's Nights of Cabiria at 10:00 PM;
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in the movie adaptation of the play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf at 12:15 AM; and
a 1970s look back at the 1950s, The Last Picture Show, at 2:45 AM.

In between the first two movies, TCM has scheduled the short Searchers for a Special City (approximately 9:44 PM), which is really just a promo (not a trailer) for Mister Buddwing. The two people who reviewed it at IMDb both speak favorably of this short. They're probably being closer to the mark than I am, although in my case that's definitely because Mister Buddwing is really a movie that left me cold and wondering what the hell the point of it all was. If you don't know much about the movie being promoted, or if you like Mister Buddwing, then I'd presume this short is relatively effective.

No comments: