Saturday, December 15, 2012

Sons of Liberty

Back in August 2011, I mentioned the Technicolor two-reelers on American history themes that comprised a series of Warner Bros. shorts in the late 1930s. I see now that I did mention Sons of Liberty, which is airing tomorrow morning at 7:33 AM, in that list. I don't think I've actually seen it before, but it's got Claude Rains as a Jewish man who used his fortune to help finance the colonists fighting the Revolutionary War. It's also directed by Michael Curtiz, so there's a lot of star power for a 20-minute short.

I think the first time I heard of the Sons of Liberty was back in 8th grade I think when we had to read the book Johnny Tremain, which was turned into a Disney movie in the mid-1950s. If you like those live-action Disney films, you might find it worth watching with the kids.

No comments: