Thursday, February 17, 2022

Briefs for February 17-18, 2022

I mentioned a few days ago when I did a blog post on Lady in Cement that it's a sequel to Tony Rome, and that Tony Rome has been showing up in the FXM rotation recently. In fact, it's got another showing, tomorrow (Feb. 18) at 9:25 AM. That will be followed at 11:20 AM by another Frank Sinatra movie, The Detective. And then, wouldn't you know, both of them are running back-to-back again on Saturday, Feb. 19.

As for other FXM films, The King and I has been in the rotation, and I thought I had it on the DVR to watch and do a review of, but surprisingly, I don't. So I'm going to have to record it the next time it shows up, which will be at the end of next week. I do have the Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton Cleopatra on my DVR, and that one also shows up next week, but I've been loath to sit down for a four-hour movie. My sleep schedule has been a bit screwed up since the ice storm and power outages two weeks ago.

I've got some other movies on my DVR that are coming up on one or another of the movie channels in the near future. In fact, I made the mistake of watching Fame last weekend and only looking afterward to see if it would be coming up on TV. It'll be on next week as well, so I'm trying to save my post on it for then, although that means I have to make the time to watch one other movie to do a post on instead. There's also a Warner Bros. programmer with Dennis Morgan called One More Tomorrow that will be on this coming Monday, so I'll get around to watching it over the weekend and do a post on it on Sunday.

As for the TCM lineup in the nearer future, tonight sees a couple of Gene Tierney movies, including Whirlpool at 11:45 PM, which doesn't seem to get shown all that often. Tomorrow morning and afternoon brings a bunch of David Niven movies, since his birthday is March 1 which this year will be the start of 31 Days of Oscar. Friday night in the pre-Underground slot has a couple of movies about the changing romantic mores in the 1960s. I don't have my monthly schedule open, and TCM's website doesn't have anything about this being a programming spotlight.

You probably heard about the death of producer/director Ivan Reitman, who died last Saturday at the age of 75. Reitman had a hand in several prominent movies in the 1980s, well actually starting about a year earlier with Animal House, which I've got on my DVR but haven't gotten around to watching to do a review on. The other most famous one would be the first Ghostbusters, but he also did Twins which I blogged about a couple months back, as well as Kindergarten Cop which I also have sitting on my DVR.

No comments: