Thursday, February 24, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #398: Workplace Romance (TV edition)

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This is the last Thursday of February, so it means two things. First is that it's another TV-themed edition of the blogathon, and second is that we're still on the Valentine's Day theme of romance. Or, more specifically, workplace romance. I kind of cheated because on one of the shows, the "job" seems more of a hobby. Then again, maybe it was a job; it's been decades since I've seen the show.

Hart to Hart (1979-1984). Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers play Jonathan and Jennifer Hart, a married and idly rich couple who solve murder mysteries, with a Thin Man-like dog Freeway and butler Lionel Stander, a holdover from 1930s films. They should have tried solving the death of Natalie Wood.

Cheers (1982-1993). Washed-up alcoholic baseball playe Sam Malone (Ted Danson) buys a bar in Boston where he tends and a bunch of oddball regulars spend their time. Along the way, Sam tries to woo first barmaid Diane (Shelley Long) and then, after Long left the show, accountant Rebecca (Kirstie Alley).

Who's the Boss? (1984-1992). Former baseball player Tony (Tony Danza) moves to suburban Connecticut with his daughter (Alyssa Milano before she went batshit insane) to become housekeeper to ad executive and divorced mom Angela (Judith Light) and her son (Danny Pintauro). Sparks fly between Tony and Angela even if they're not so sure of it.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Who's the Boss!! I can believe I didn't think of that.

Brittani Burnham said...

Cheers is a good pick for this week. That's the only one of yours I've seen episodes from.

Birgit said...

You made me laugh about Milano. I fiorgot about Who's The Boss which I did watch for a while and then, I faded from that. We match with Cheers which is a great show. Hart To Hart is another I almost chose. I believe Robert Wagner had a hand in Wood's death. I always found it very peculiar that Natalie Wood died and a week later, William Holden died who was with Stephanie Powers. I know they separated by this point plus he was an alcoholic but it is so easy to state his death as accidental.

ThePunkTheory said...

I know all your picks but haven't really seen any of them. I'm a tiny bit too young to have caught them when they aired on German TV. 😅