Thursday, February 17, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #397: Romantic Tropes: Second Chance Romance

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. As we still have this Thursday and next Thursday in February left, we've got two more romance-themed editions of the blogathon. This Thursday, that theme is "Second Chance Romance". I had a couple of movies in mind, and checked to see whether or not I'd used them, and wound up making some surprising choices as a result:

The Awful Truth (1937). I thought I had used this one before, and so was thinking about using the 1950s remake, Let's Do It Again, instead. However, in searching the blog, there was a match three years ago in the Thursday Movie Picks in which I had picked Let's Do It Again for a theme on Romantic Comedies on the grounds that I thought I had used The Awful Truth before! Cary Grant and Irene Dunne play a couple who seek a divorce after a series of misunderstandings, with the divorce to be finalized after 90 days. In those 90 days, each of them tries to find new love, only to find that they're still in love with each other, and will have to do something in order to get that divorce decree not to be finalized.

The Ex-Mrs. Bradford (1936). One of the many couples detective movies made in the wake of The Thin Man, this one stars Jean Arthur as Mrs. Bradford, a mystery writer who's divorced from her ex-husband, Dr. Bradford (William Powell). There's an odd death at the racetrack which might be murder, leading Dr. Bradford to investigate from a medical angle and Mrs. Bradford to investigate from a murder mystery angle, getting her ex-husband to investigate with her and possibly rekindle the romance.

Seems Like Old Times (1980). Another movie about a divorced couple and a crime. Chevy Chase plays the ex-husband, a reclusive writer who is kidnapped and forced to rob a bank. In order to evade the law, he hides out in the home of... his ex-wife (Goldie Hawn). However, there's just a bit of a complication, which is that the ex-wife has remarried, to a man who is the district attorney (Charles Grodin) and has ambitions of becoming Attorney General. There's going to be trouble for everybody if Chase is found in the DA's house. Meanwhile, Chase sees this as an opportunity to try to reconcile with his ex-wife.

3 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

The Awful Truth has been on my radar for a bit. I haven't seen any of your picks, but that one I'm sure I will eventually.

Birgit said...

I must see the first 2 films you spoke about because they have been on my list for eons! I love all the actors in these films and Cary Grant and Irene Dunne were a great couple. I totally forgot about the Chase/Hawn film which I saw in the theatre and found it quite funny. It's not up to par with Foul Play but it is a funny film and Grodin always plays a schmuck somehow.

ThePunkTheory said...

Somehow "Seems Like Old Times" sounds very familiar. I wonder if I've seen this one before and just didn't remember. 😅