Sunday, February 13, 2022

TCM Schedule Heads-Up

This being Black History Month, one of the TCM spotlights is on movies looking at race, every Sunday in prime time. On this second Sunday of the month, the programming continues into Silent Sunday Nights. There's a documentary at 9:30 PM about pioneering filmmaker Oscar Micheaux. That will be followed by a two of his surviving silents, Within Our Gates at 11:00 PM and The Symbol of the Unconquered overnight at 12:30 AM (which will of course still be late Sunday evening in more westerly time zones). I haven't seen the documentary so I can't comment on it, but the two silents are definitely worth watching.

But I really wanted to mention the TCM Imports, because the DirecTV box guide seems to be acting odd. The first film, at 2:00 AM, is the Mexican film Deep Crimson, which is another movie I haven't seen but sounds interesting. It's the second movie where the issues crop up. The TCM website, as well as TitanTV.com, are both listing Purple Noon at 4:15 AM, while the DirecTV guide is for some reason showing a Pedro Almodovar film, What Have I Done to Deserve This? in that time slot. I'm guessing it's Purple Noon, although I personally think it would be more fitting to have a pair of Spanish-language films on the same night and I haven't actually seen the Almodovar movie before.

No comments: