Thursday, February 3, 2022

Briefs for February 3-4, 2022

Yesterday was Groundhog Day, and I don't think I've done a post on the Bill Murray movie. But then, I haven't seen it in a couple of years, and it's one of those movies I'd like to watch again before doing a post on it. Not that I particularly care about the actual groundhog and the old wives' tale.

I don't think there's much of note coming up on FXM; most of the stuff in the Retro block is stuff that's been in the rotation for a little while and is going to be there for a while longer, it looks like. Over on StarzEncore Westerns is where things are a bit more interesting. I've been going through my box sets of Randolph Scott westerns, picking up a second set and recording The Bounty Hunter off of TCM not too long ago, one that's not on the box sets I've got. Anyhow, StarzEcnore Westerns has a couple of those movies in the lineup tomorrow morning. First, at 8:02 AM Feb. 4, there's Ride Lonesome. That will be followed at 9:16 AM by Buchanan Rides Alone. There are some other interesting movies coming up, too, such as Broken Lance tonight at 10:24 PM.

As for the obituares, Italian actress Monica Vitti died yesterday at the age of 90. She was known for her work in the 1960s on such Italian movies as L'Avventura and L'eclisse, as well as making the odd English-language film Modesty Blaise which is more interesting for its style than its story.

The other death is that of Carleton Carpenter, who died on Monday aged 95. Carpenter did a Word of Mouth piece for TCM, talking some about his small appearance in Father of the Bride, saying Spencer Tracy was complimentary of him, and also talking about appearing with Debbie Reynolds in Two Weeks with Love and having a hit duet singing "Abba Dabba Honeymoon". I specifically wanted to mention Carpenter, since he's the co-star in Fearless Fagan, which is on at 3:15 PM today as part of a TCM salute to Janet Leigh.

No comments: