Saturday, February 20, 2016

A couple of dead writers

I'm sure that by now you've heard about the death of Harper Lee. Lee was famous for her one* novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, which was published in 1960, turned into the Oscar-winning film starring Gregory Peck as the lawyer Atticus Finch, and became a staple of junior-high English classes everywhere. I know I read it back in 8th grade for my English class, which is also where I first saw the movie, probably over three days since class periods were only about 40 minutes. I only read the book the one time, and it's also been several years since I've watched the movie.

*It was only last year that Lee's second novel, long unpublished, was finally published; Go Set a Watchman was apparently released to quite a bit of controversy. I also didn't realize that Lee helped Truman Capote out quite a bit with the research for what was to become In Cold Blood. I can strongly recommend the film versions of both To Kill a Mockingbird and In Cold Blood.

The other death is that of Italian novelist Umberto Eco, who wrote a bunch of long, critically acclaimed novels that I've never gotten around to reading. At least one of them, The Name of the Rose was turned into a movie in the 1980s, starring Sean Connery as a medieval priest who solves a murder mystery at an Italian monastery. I don't think I've seen the movie since I was in college, which would mean it's been well over 20 years.

2 comments:

jim said...

Thank you for sharing and updating!

I will come to look at this issue and look forward to!

Recommend a game to you, and have time to go and see, search sites: RS Gold and Old School RS Gold

James said...

Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Items play an important role in the game, so players need to actively acquire them in the game. Now MMOWTS is selling a lot of Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Items, and if you want to get these items quickly, choosing MMOWTS is a very good decision.