Thursday, February 25, 2016

Modern color article

I could swear I've mentioned quite a few times on this blog how I'm not particularly enamored of the way in which latter-day movies seem to have a color palette consisting mostly of blues and teals, with orange for all the explosions, and a bunch of browns too. It's a color scheme that looks almost as artificial as the William Wellman used austere colors in Track of the Cat to highlight the red coat. It's also something that always gives me the impression of today's movie makers being derivative and unoriginal. The color also really pales next to the eye-popping dye-imbibition colors of the old three-strip Technicolor.

Over on the TCM boards, somebody started up a discussion about the color films of the 1940s, and another poster (not me) also mentioned the color schemes of today's movies. I'm not the only one to notice it, and indeed, people who actually get paid to write have noticed it, too. It's interesting, with quite a lot of pictures, and some interesting stuff in the comments too. (Note, however, that the article is from 2014, so responding to the comments now is probably pointless.)

No comments: