Thursday, August 9, 2012

TCM and advertising, chapter whatever

I suppose I should be disturbed with Google and its cookies tracking me wherever I go on the internet. I don't know if I opened up TCM's schedule in the same browser tab that had a Google search in it, or whether it's my searching for images of classic movie stars. But in some of the strangest places, I've been getting ads on sites that use Google's pictorial Adsense for TCM's Summer Under the Stars. Some of these sites are based in Europe, so the ads are presumably targeted at me and not the users of the forum in general. On the other hand, I'm also getting the standars online college scam ads on the same forums. As for the Summer Under the Stars ads, they're actually very well made, with a picture of the star in question, and the star's name and date. The problem is, I'm still getting ads for Marilyn Monroe's day on Summer Under the Stars, which took place last Saturday.

TCM is also showing Should Ladies Behave? tomorrow afternoon at 12:15 PM. I briefly mentioned this drawing-room comedy from 1933 back in August 2008. Not for the movie itself, which is OK if you like the early sound-era drawing-room comedy, but because early on in the film is a so-obvious-you-can't-possibly-miss-it ad for Dinner at Eight.

No comments: