Sunday, January 13, 2013

Spellbound heads-up



TCM is running Alfred Hitchcock's 1945 classic Spellbound at 4:00 PM today. The running time is listed as 111 minutes in a two-hour slot, which I thought was a bit short. In the past, TCM has run a print of Spellbound that included an overture and exit music, and I believe that made the movie run over 120 minutes. But then, we got the non-roadshow version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World again on Friday night, at 159 minutes in a three-hour slot.

I don't remember whether this particular print of Spellbound has the red tinting, either. Either way, though, if you haven't seen Spellbound before, watch it! I think I may have to revise the view that I had when I posted back in August 2008, when I suggested that it's not quite at the top of the list of Hitchcock's best. Over the past few years, I've found Spellbound to be far more fun than the overrated Vertigo, for example, but that's a topic for another thread.

No comments: